Monday 5 July 2010

What Buffy taught us



I've just posted on the SFX mag Facebook page about most rousing speeches in sci-fi. My choice? Buffy's season 7 speech to the potential slayers about accepting their power. It still gives me tingles.


"In every generation one Slayer is born because a bunch of men who died thousands of years ago made up that rule. They were powerful men. (She points at Willow, who smiles nervously.) This woman is more powerful than all of them combined.
"So I say we change the rule. I say my power should be our power. Tomorrow, Willow will use the essence of the scythe to change our destiny. From now on, every girl in the world who might be a Slayer, will be a Slayer. Every girl who could have the power, will have the power. Can stand up, will stand up. Slayers every one of us. Make your choice. Are you ready to be strong?"
I haven't watched my Buffy boxsets in a while, but this speech from the last episode always gets to me. Buffy wasn't a perfect show (sorry Joss!) but I think this speech in particular pretty much nailed what it was all about. Girls taking control of their lives, standing up and standing together. And kicking ass in the process.

Thank you Buffyverse Dialogue Database for having this quote in the bank!

2 comments:

Please keep it clean!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...